Sunday, September 30, 2012

You know you're a runner when...

So far I've spent most of my training not considering myself to be a "real runner". Mostly I thought real runners are the people who can run a less than eight minute mile all the while maintaining perfect posture and breathing, and still look great for those finish line shots the photographer takes. I saw my finish line photos for the last 5K, and they were not pretty. I look a little sick and bit like I'm about to fall over.  I won't post them.  In fact, I hope they're eventually destroyed.

So, I've been wondering when I would get to the point I really felt like a runner.  I think that may have finally happened this morning. 

I was running in town today, and hoping to get a little street/sidewalk running and some hills to train up for the Trenton 10K.  Things were going great, and my splits were almost about where Trainer Jeff told me to be.  I even felt pretty good.  Of course that was until I tripped on the sidewalk at 2.1 miles.  True to form, I didn't just trip, I bit it and took a tumble.  We're talking bruises, blood, and total road rash going on.  (I didn't take a picture, but believe me, it's not pretty) For a split second, I thought WTF do I do now before I got back up and just started running again.  Let me just clarify that had anything actually been seriously injured I probably would have stopped.  But I ran the rest of the third mile back home before I stopped to look at my knee and my hand.  The funny thing is that today was my best 3rd mile on a nonstop run ever.  Go figure!

So, I've managed to yet again display my outstanding clumsiness.  I hang my head in shame again for that.  But I've decided that getting up and continuing the run makes me officially a "real runner" now!

No comments:

Post a Comment